Having issues with initial deploy

Solved!
mcharles
Level 2
Having issues with initial deploy

I'm deploying for the first time (and I didn't install the designer node and production automation node).  The designer node is on a server and I'm connecting to the UI.  It's listed as local for Deployer (as opposed to remote).  I'm not sure what permissions I need to fix on the other node (which is on a seperate server from the designer node).  I'm about to retrace the steps of what they did to install, to get a better understanding.  Hopefully someone knows the answer, so I don't have to go fully back through the process.

error with automation.PNG

0 Kudos
1 Solution
mcharles
Level 2
Author

The issue was that infrastructure, projects, and additionally other tabs needed to have the group roles defined.

Also, there was an issue with project id collision, so the project id needed to have the name changed before deploying.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
fsergot
Dataiker

Hello,

This error message relates to missing rights on the Automation node so I think you should look at this rather than at the installation process.

When you are doing a deployment with Project Deployer, the operations on the Automation node are performed by your user and so inherit all your rights. We match users on the Automation with the one you are using on the Design node based on the login (see https://doc.dataiku.com/dss/latest/deployment/setup.html#setup-users)

Once this matching it made, the standard rights are applied as if you were creating/updating the project yourself on the Automation node.

In your case, your user is missing project rights on the Automation node (project menu -> Security). You need to make sure your user has the right 'Write project content' there:

Screenshot 2021-09-06 at 09.01.38.png

0 Kudos
mcharles
Level 2
Author

I'm still getting a permissions error after updating the permissions for the project in the designer?

Do I need to changed the deployer setting to be remote since the designer and automation are on seperate nodes?  It seemed like it was partially working with both set to local when I would try to deploy before.  I say that, because the automation node would show the deployment come through, and I would activate the deployment on the automation node.  Both designer and automation node are administrator permissions and I am logged in as administrator.  You would think permissions wouldn't be an issue.

0 Kudos
fsergot
Dataiker

I can see no reason why local/remote deployer option would play a part here. This impacts where design nodes are publishing bundles/api, not where or how the Deployer is deploying them to Automation/API nodes.

I can think of some thing to checks as it seems related to rights issues between your design & automation (hence your remark on Deployer on automation is working, however, this is not the recommended setup)

1. Control that the user you have in both instance has the same login ('admin' for example)
  2. That the API key you have setup in the Infrastructure of Deployer is an admin key
  3. You may want to check the Automation node backend.log for more details

Besides that, I would suggest to switch this to our support team as this would be more efficient than community.

0 Kudos
mcharles
Level 2
Author

The issue was that infrastructure, projects, and additionally other tabs needed to have the group roles defined.

Also, there was an issue with project id collision, so the project id needed to have the name changed before deploying.

0 Kudos